Programs & Services
MIT Interphase EDGE 2017
EMPOWERING DISCOVERY | GATEWAY TO EXCELLENCE
Description: Interphase EDGE is a two (2) year scholar enrichment program that includes a seven-week summer program as well as an academic year component. The focus of the summer component is to give the scholars an introduction to the MIT experience by exposing them to the rigors of a full subject load and to life on MIT’s campus. In addition, the Interphase EDGE curriculum is uniquely designed to impart pivotal concepts that will increase long-term academic success. In other words, the program will not only give students an “edge” on their MIT experience; it will catalyze their success beyond MIT. During the summer and academic year, scholars will participate in a range of personal and educational development seminars and activities designed to ensure their smooth transition to college life. Through the academic year component, scholars will continue to build upon the relationships created during the summer by attending bi-weekly meetings with EDGE advisors and monthly professional and academic enhancement events. They will also participate in programs that will expose them to various career pathways.
Applicants: Interphase EDGE is looking for students who are committed to academic success and to building a community of Interphase EDGE scholars.
How To Build A Strong Application
Eligibility: In order to apply to Interphase EDGE you must:
- Be admitted to the incoming freshmen class at MIT
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Demonstrate commitment to building a community of Interphase EDGE scholars
- Submit online application which includes a letter of recommendation and personal statement
Underrepresented students (1st Generation, rural, Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, and Alaskan Native) with an interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics are highly encouraged to apply.
Benefits: Interphase EDGE provides Scholars with:
- Personal advising and mentoring
- Tools for academic success
- Mastery of problem solving techniques
- Enhancement of oral and written communication skills
- Exposure to Institute resources critical to success at MIT
- Cultivation of peer, staff, and faculty relationships and a network of support
- Support to Transition confidently from first year into the department/major of choice
- Exposure to a vast array of post graduation opportunities
- Holistic development
- Meet eligibility criteria outlined above
- Submit online application and all related materials by the final deadline which is Wednesday, April 19, 2017
- Enroll at MIT prior to the Interphase EDGE decision date of Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Application deadlines and notifications
Online Application Opens on Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Online Application Closes on Wedneday, April 19, 2017 (It is highly recommended that you start the application by Tuesday, April 11, 2017)
Notifications will be emailed around Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Deadline for all selected applicants to accept/decline their space in the program is 6pm on Thursday, May 12, 2017.
Applying to the Interphase EDGE Program is a separate and independent process from applying for admission to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) incoming freshman class. In order to participate in Interphase EDGE you MUST be an enrolling first year student at MIT. Your decisions regarding applying to, and participating in Interphase EDGE will have NO impact on your admission to MIT.
How to Apply:
Please follow the following steps to apply for the Interphase EDGE program.
- Register for a new user account on the OME website by clicking here and providing your name and email address. It may take up to 24 hours if your account is requested Sunday - Thursday and up to 48 hours if requested Friday - Saturday. If you already have an account, login here and skip step 2.
- You will receive two emails: one confirming that your user account is ready; and another confirming that your Interphase EDGE application is ready. Once you get both of these emails, click here.
- Visit your user page on the OME website, click on the Interphase EDGE Application tab and follow the instructions.