The Office of Minority Education recognizes 4 Distinguished Peers each academic year. There are five nomination categories for Distinguished Peers and four cycles throughout the academic school year. The cycle deadlines for the 2022-2023 school year are
11:59pm on October 9th, 2022
11:59pm on November 20th, 2022
11:59pm on February 12th, 2023
11:59pm on April 2nd, 2023
- Student has pursued entrepreneurial initiatives while at MIT.
- Demonstrated success in pioneering an innovative product/idea/service.
- Demonstrated service to others within the MIT community.
- Commitment to a mission driven organization and selfless service.
- Commitment to strengthening the MIT community.
- Demonstrated MIT pride and enthusiastic participation in MIT events.
Performing Arts/Athletic Achievements:
- Demonstrated commitment to the performing arts and/or athletics.
- Engagement and/or participation with MIT performing arts groups or athletic teams.
Global Initiative and/or Experience:
- Demonstrated desire to participate in broad cultural experiences.
- Engagement and/or participation with MIT global programs/services.
- Recipient of a major award, a notable academic achievement or fellowship, etc.
- A $125 prize
- A profile and publicity from the OME
- A name plate on the Distinguished Peers Perpetual Plaque
- Recognition and an award at the annual RISE Awards (formerly known as the Multicultural Awards Banquet)
Nominators of winners receive a $25 prize!
These nominations are only open to current undergraduate students (not alumni). Nominations are accepted on a rolling basis (see priority deadlines below) and all nominations are valid for one academic year.
Questions? distinguishedpeers [at] mit.edu